Monday, August 29, 2005

Rejection/Resignation

It is official! I have officially dealt with more rejection from boys and jobs in the last year and a half than I ever have before. But no, this isn't a post about about "oh, woe is me," nor is it a post about various emotional breakdowns, increased apathy, or saturating numbness. This is a post about what you do to prevail, my friends!

While playing the "get to know you" game with the most recent boy who has apparently rejected me I asked him an amazing question: Name the last three compliments you received that you really took to heart. (Brilliant, I know.) His responses were perfect - my favorite of which was "Someone told me I'm a perfect person to go to a baseball game with." Le sigh. My heart, it crushes, dies, weeps... but prevails!

Though he never reciprocated the question back to me as we lay in bed, lounging, half naked, tangled in each other, my favorite most recent compliment that someone payed me resonated in my head: You're so resilient.

Hell yeah.
Hell yeah.

So no, this isn't a post about what it took to get there or how we did it, it's about just being that, about fighting through all the suckiness of being 24, indulging in the awesomeness that can be being 24, maintaining a sense of humor and incredible dignity. It's about saying all you have to say, thanking those who help you along the way, and being as true to yourself as possible.

You know, it's like those little thank you letters you're supposed to send after you have an interview - as one last attempt to be eloquent, professional and courteous before you go in to either interview again or start that first day at work. OK, or never hear from them again. (Or that last phone call to a boy/girl where you sound eloquent, chipper and charming instead of saying what you really want to say which is - if you don't call me back within the next two days you fucktard I will fucking crush your mother effing face the next time I see you you lying piece of shit.)

Anyway, resiliency and thank you notes...


Examples:

Dear Seemingly Amazing Boy I Fell Head Over Heels For:
It was a pleasure meeting with you. The prospects of being in your company truly excite and fascinate me. I feel I am quite qualified for the position of your girlfriend and look forward to developing and maintaining healthy, lasting relationship with you. Please contact me should you have any questions or require more information from me in any way. Thanks again for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,
Me

Dear Amazing Nationally-Renowned Company With Whom I Interviewed,
Thanks so much for leading me on. I just wanted to let you know that although you seem absolutely amazing on paper you fucking blow major goats ass. When you advertise that your company believes in serendipity and karma and fate, it makes me want to puke. I hope karma comes back around and bites you in the ass. Please never contact me again.
Fuck off,
Me


It seems somewhere along the way I got a little confused...

3 Comments:

Blogger Wicketywack said...

What about the gym guy? He didn't reject you.

9:12 PM  
Blogger AllDeTime said...

HAAAAAAAA!!!!

Too true, too true!

He was SO quality. I should rush back and do more hip abductor sets...

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy shit.


I totally just realized that I'm 24.

I've been in this, "It's all good, I'm still only 23" daze for a while now, but you're right, we're 24. Wtf?!?!

-Megan

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Hit Counters