Wednesday, December 07, 2005

iCU

My iBook is on life-support and I'm not taking it well. She's been acting weird the last few days and I hate to report that last night she just, well, crashed. She froze up and wouldn't turn off without my force. Then she wouldn't turn on. She made a sound like a bad cough and seemed to hate me. This morning when she finally turned on her black screen had goobly all over it and in it was a message that said I needed to restart her, and at the very bottom of the screen she told me: Panic: we're hanging here.

PANIC!!!!!!! HANGING!!!!!!!!! My heart dropped, I threw on a sweater, dirty jeans and sneakers and rushed her to the nearest MacHospital: The Apple Store.

At the genius bar I sat, wringing my hands while the genius took her apart, hooked her up to other machines and told me, ooo, it doesn't look good. Her hard drive has died.

My iBook is a shell, a body, now a soulless entity that's in iCU for the next 7-10 business days.

***

The best thing about owning an Apple computer is that you feel like it becomes a part of you. PC users yell at their machines. I've literally spooned my iBook. Twice.

Apple owners are a special breed - usually artistic, a little nutty, a little quirky, a little hipster and a little stupid for paying that extra money for a machine you only type on. But Apple owners know the love.

And with Apple's marketing department, you can't help but fall in love. What's with making everything start with i? iBook. iLife, for goodness sake. iPod. iSkin. iSock. iTrip. It's you. You, you, you and your Apple product. This is very personal.

So when you own an Apple product for an extended period of time you become slightly obsessed. Your entire life changes. It becomes you, your mom, your dad, your brother, your dog and your iBook.

And when you open your iBook one morning and it tells you "Panic: we're hanging here" you can't help but panic yourself.

I don't even care that I never backed up data (shut up, I know, but I never thought it would happen to me!), I just want my baby back safe in time for Christmas.

3 Comments:

Blogger Washington Cube said...

Congratulations on your mention in DC Blogs: http://www.dcblogs.com/

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share your grief: I recently lost my own iBook (G3 500 MHz), and it was really, really tough. You can read my own adventures on my Randomduck blog - here's the first post about the iBook death.

The eventual result was an autopsy to remove the hard disk, which was then installed in an external Firewire/USB2 enclosure. I now have a circa-2000 iMac that's pinch-hitting until I can afford a new Mac laptop.

I understand the attachment we Mac-heads have to our computers.

Good to see another DC-area person having the same issues (or perhaps not glad - it's sad to lose a trusty Mac).

9:51 AM  
Blogger Janet Kincaid said...

I miss my Mac. I've been condemned to using PCs at my last two jobs (see what happens when you leaving publishing and enter the world of non-profits and trade associations? I've sold my soul to the Devil and his PC laden world) and I hate, hate, hate them. Unfortunately, I can't afford my own Mac right now, so I have to drool on my brother's THREE...count 'em: THREE... Macs. Dirty bastard; the least he could do is give me one.

Anyway--hope your baby is better soon. Nothing sadder than a sad Mac owner.

Janet

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Hit Counters