Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Funny Because it's True

I have recently come to the conclusion that every cliche statement is total bullshit in which people invest too much faith, and every stereotype is at least somewhat true.

A tangent on cliches:

It occurred to me that phrases like,
"Give it time, it will work out!"
and
"You have to leave home in order to find out!"
and
"You always find him/it/happiness when you're not looking"
and
"You're so young!"
are total effing bullshit because everything in life is completely subjective and to try and paste some BS label like this on what someone is feeling/going through is completely rude and insensitive. A 23 year old orphan, for example, is way older - in spirit - than most 23 y/o's.

I'm a little angry today. Forgive me, please.

My district manager was in the store today and I swore I was going to get fired because she kept giving me glaring looks because I smiled at no one because I didn't want to smile and I'm pretty much over pretending everything is fine and that I love making your lattes.

Until my lunch break, when I went to the bank...

(This will probably offend someone, and just remember: you don't really know anything about me, so relax and don't pass judgement. I'm having a very "I hate humanity today.")

But anyway, I was at the bank deposting my measly paycheck when I heard a clanging sound from across the room and noticed it was one of those new snazzy machines that sorts your change and rolls it, so you can easily exchange it for dollars.

In front of the machine stood a jewish man who wore a yarmulke, with a bag full of change. He poured all his change into the machine and I tried so hard not to laugh out loud and call every single one of my jewish friends (which is every single one of my friends) to tell them what was happening.

Oh to see stereotype in the flesh! It's one amazing thing that you get when you work in the service industry: to see stereotype in flesh and blood.

Stingy Jews, dumb blondes, black people who don't tip, rich yuppies who talk to you like you're shit on the ground... it's all true. Well, sometimes.



Gosh, wouldn't life be so much easier if we could just slap a stereotypical label on all these people and toss in a cliche statement to blanket the situation so we don't have to actually work at not judging people and attempt to change anything about the world?

Oy vey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Hit Counters